Arcade Game Designer for MSX

Страница 8/9
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | 9

By thegeps

Champion (278)

Аватар пользователя thegeps

08-11-2019, 11:20

Arkos Tracker has its own players. You can choose one of them dependently your needs

By zPasi

Champion (474)

Аватар пользователя zPasi

08-11-2019, 15:53

Timmy wrote:

I can't say how the MSX scene works, but on the Spectrum we literally have hundreds of great music engines. There is so much choice there's no point to just include one music engine.

I would say there is a point, because AGD is there to make game development easier. Of course the player should be removable / replaceable.

Arkos 2 for instance, is easy to hook up. You'll have functions like MUSIC_START , MUSIC_PLAY (to be called 50 / 60 times / s) and MUSIC_STOP.

By CASDuino

Expert (104)

Аватар пользователя CASDuino

08-11-2019, 19:19

Once it's all set up, what format will the MSX games be in? DSK, ROM, CAS, TSX?

By jltursan

Prophet (2191)

Аватар пользователя jltursan

08-11-2019, 20:05

DSK only right now. The engine needs some more changes to be compatible with a ROM format but sooner or later I'll adapt it. If I can find the right tools I'll also add CAS (already have some candidates) and TSX as targets, the later it's harder as I don't know any command line tool capable of make a TSX file from a bin. Probably I can convert the BIN to WAV and then the WAV to TSX Big smile

About music trackers I would say that the PT2/PT3 protracker format is the most popular. Arkos tracker is a novelty in the MSX world, I've been looking for info about the multiple versions and at first, seems a bit messy, at least when it comes to take a decision between all of them. And of course, there's no music library, you need to make your own music while the PT library has hundreds of songs publicy available.

By zPasi

Champion (474)

Аватар пользователя zPasi

09-11-2019, 18:30

I wouldn't say novelty, I found Arkos in 2013.

But whatever. PT3 may very well be better / easier for this AGD project.

By nataliapc

Resident (63)

Аватар пользователя nataliapc

09-11-2019, 22:17

jltursan wrote:

DSK only right now. The engine needs some more changes to be compatible with a ROM format but sooner or later I'll adapt it. If I can find the right tools I'll also add CAS (already have some candidates) and TSX as targets, the later it's harder as I don't know any command line tool capable of make a TSX file from a bin. Probably I can convert the BIN to WAV and then the WAV to TSX Big smile

You have several ways to create a TSX file:

1# From a CAS file using my PHP script cas2tsx.php at:
https://github.com/nataliapc/MSX_devs/tree/master/TSXphpclass

2# Using ZX-BlockEditor that supports edition of TSX files:
https://tsx.eslamejor.com/files/ZX-Blockeditor_2.4.3_Setup.msi

3# Using makeTSX program if you have only a WAV like source:
https://github.com/nataliapc/makeTSX

If you use a custom loader with non-standard data blocks the best could be the 2nd option.

I hope this helps you.

By jltursan

Prophet (2191)

Аватар пользователя jltursan

09-11-2019, 23:54

Thanks nataliapc!, a command line tool would be nice, seems that makeTSX it's the only tool capable of working this way. There's no cas2tsx available from command line?, I've zero experience with PHP and I don't know if there's a way to run this from CMD.

Quote:

I wouldn't say novelty, I found Arkos in 2013.

Do you have experience with this tracker?, I would love to hear about it from a programmer point of view.

By nataliapc

Resident (63)

Аватар пользователя nataliapc

10-11-2019, 10:01

jltursan wrote:

...There's no cas2tsx available from command line?, I've zero experience with PHP and I don't know if there's a way to run this from CMD.

Of course!
Just install PHP (exe must be in the PATH) and from command line:

> php cas2tsx.php MYCASFILE.CAS

By zPasi

Champion (474)

Аватар пользователя zPasi

10-11-2019, 10:52

jltursan wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't say novelty, I found Arkos in 2013.

Do you have experience with this tracker?, I would love to hear about it from a programmer point of view.

Yes I do.

The downside of Arkos is that you have to "compile" the song to a fixed starting address, or link it to the main binary as an assembly.

By jltursan

Prophet (2191)

Аватар пользователя jltursan

10-11-2019, 12:55

Quote:

Just install PHP (exe must be in the PATH) and from command line:

Seems that I'm not able to find "msxcharsetjp.php", is this really needed?

Страница 8/9
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | | 9