What is the easiest way to run MSX-DOS2? I have disk drive on my AX-370

Страница 1/2
| 2

By alali.ahmed.t

Master (132)

Аватар пользователя alali.ahmed.t

16-11-2022, 19:58

I tried to run MSX-DOS2 but It won't run it. What are the steps and file needed to run it from disk?

Для того, чтобы оставить комментарий, необходимо регистрация или !login

By tfh

Prophet (3277)

Аватар пользователя tfh

16-11-2022, 20:05

alali.ahmed.t wrote:

I tried to run MSX-DOS2 but It won't run it. What are the steps and file needed to run it from disk?

You also need an MSX Disk-Basic 2 ROM. So if your machine doesn't have it built inside, you'll need a cartridge with the needed ROM.

More info:
https://www.msx.org/wiki/MSX-DOS_2

By gdx

Enlighted (5985)

Аватар пользователя gdx

17-11-2022, 01:30

I think Nextor is the easiest way because it can run on almost all MSXs with 128kB RAM and disk drive from a flash Rom cartridge with ASCII mapper.

https://www.msx.org/wiki/Nextor_DOS

By alali.ahmed.t

Master (132)

Аватар пользователя alali.ahmed.t

17-11-2022, 06:03

tfh wrote:
alali.ahmed.t wrote:

I tried to run MSX-DOS2 but It won't run it. What are the steps and file needed to run it from disk?

You also need an MSX Disk-Basic 2 ROM. So if your machine doesn't have it built inside, you'll need a cartridge with the needed ROM.

More info:
https://www.msx.org/wiki/MSX-DOS_2

So, this is what I did and it didn't work :(

I burned the following rom file into 27C512 chip on a cartridge that can run upto 64KB:

MSX-DOS Kernel v2.31 + Disk BASIC v2.01 (1991)(Ascii)[MSXDOS23.ROM]

Then had the disk with the following MSX DOS 2.44 files on it:

AUTOEXEC.BAT
COMMAND2.com
MSXDOS.SYS
MSXDOC2.SYS
REBOOT.BAT
HELP (Folder)
UTILS (Folder)

Afte that I inserted the cartridge in slot 1 and the disk in the A drive as it is. Started the machine and it started back on MSX disk basic version 1 with MSX basic 3.0 since it is MSX2+. So it didn't run the disk automatically. I tried to run it manually but that also didn't work.

Am I missing something here?

Would it be possible to provide me with the needed files?

By alali.ahmed.t

Master (132)

Аватар пользователя alali.ahmed.t

17-11-2022, 06:05

gdx wrote:

I think Nextor is the easiest way because it can run on almost all MSXs with 128kB RAM and disk drive from a flash Rom cartridge with ASCII mapper.

https://www.msx.org/wiki/Nextor_DOS

I have Carnivore 2 with Nextor on it, but I want to run MSX-DOS2 without the carnivore. I want to run some programs and players using MSX-DOS2.

By Manuel

Ascended (19204)

Аватар пользователя Manuel

17-11-2022, 07:32

MSX-DOS 2 needs a specific mappper.

By gdx

Enlighted (5985)

Аватар пользователя gdx

17-11-2022, 10:05

alali.ahmed.t wrote:

I have Carnivore 2 with Nextor on it, but I want to run MSX-DOS2 without the carnivore. I want to run some programs and players using MSX-DOS2.

Nextor runs the programs for MSX-DOS 2. The only problem you may encounter are the specific FAT12 programs when your disk is in FAT16. I guess your problem is to want to run MSX-DOS 2 programs from the floppy drive so you want dissable the Carnivore 2 while keeping Nextor, right?
Why don't you do the opposite? If you dissable the floppy drive, you gain user memory and therefore more programs will be able to work. I think MSX-DOS 2 doesn't provide any interest in you. If I'm wrong, say what exactly you want to do.

By alali.ahmed.t

Master (132)

Аватар пользователя alali.ahmed.t

21-11-2022, 18:47

I recently completed the FM circuit on my AX-370 (somehow similar to Wavy 70FD) and when I try to play files using VGP\M player that are YM2413, it doesn't play them from carnivore even though I made a configuration with disabled FMPAC from carnivore2.

I tested the 70FD demo disk and the music runs very well, but whenever I tried running YM2413 files I don't get sound even though it picked up MSX Music on there option. I played FM files with the same circuit and it was successful. I also manage to program a rom and put it on a cartridge to run games using FM sound like R-Type, since it is picky and it needs the FM cartridge to be in slot 2, so having the rom on a normal 64K cartridge on slot 2 while the circuit is on the computer PCB made the trick.

But again, I am annoyed that I can't play the OPLL files, and most of the players needs either MSX DOS2 or Mapper. I only have the carnivore 2 as mapper but I wish to test without it.

I paused trying to run MSX DOS 2 to complete my project on building the Wozblaster. I will come back for MSX DOS2 issue after I am done with the Wozblaster build.

By Manuel

Ascended (19204)

Аватар пользователя Manuel

22-11-2022, 00:09

With Carnivore you can run Nextor, which is compatible with MSX-DOS 2.

By alali.ahmed.t

Master (132)

Аватар пользователя alali.ahmed.t

22-11-2022, 00:25

Manuel wrote:

With Carnivore you can run Nextor, which is compatible with MSX-DOS 2.

I want to avoid using Carnivore2 if possible that is my goal. I will see what I can do about that, I just need to find a time to try stuff around

By wbahnassi

Master (188)

Аватар пользователя wbahnassi

22-11-2022, 00:37

alali.ahmed.t wrote:

I recently completed the FM circuit on my AX-370 (somehow similar to Wavy 70FD).

Any description for this project? I'm interested in it actually!

Страница 1/2
| 2