The Sony HBI-V1 Video Digitizer is a piece of hardware which is used for grabbing images from external video sources like a VCR, TV or VIDEO camcorder. It was released in 1989 (one year after release of the MSX2+ computers) in Japan. Due to the TV standard incompatibility most of those cartridges available in Europe are converted to PAL from NTSC by Club Gouda or others.
The package consists of:
- The cartridge itself
- One cable (banana-stick, both ends are male). Yellow stick & black cable
- Japanese manual
- One disk with some digitizing and displaying software
The cartridge contains:
- Built in digitizing software
- 64kB VRAM
- ROM with basic call extensions to control the digitizer manually from MSX-BASIC. Available commands are:
- CALL AD (A,B,C,D,E) (Auto digitize).
- CALL DCLS (Clear digitizer's VRAM).
- CALL DCOPY (A,B)-(C,D)TO(E,F) (Copy from the digitzer's VRAM to MSX's VRAM).
- CALL MD (A,B,C,D,E) (Manual digitize).
- CALL YJK (Y,J,K) (YJK color adjust).
- CALL DG (Start built in digitizing software).
The digitizer can be used with an MSX2 computer, but then it will only be possible to digitize in screen mode 8 with 256 colours. On an MSX2+ the screen 10, 11 and 12 modes can be used too. The digitizing speed is not impressive, but enough if you do not expect to see real time video. The most used screen for digitizing is the last one (12) due to the big amount of colours.
Digitizing in interlace (256×424) mode
1 N$="IMAGE" 10 SCREEN 12,,,,,3 20 SETPAGE1,0 30 _AD(0,0,0,0,0,0,1) 40 SETPAGE 1,1 50 _AD(0,0,0,0,0,1,2) 55 A$=INKEY$ 60 IFA$=""THEN20 70 IFA$=" "THEN BEEP: A$=INPUT$(1): IF A$="S" OR A$="s" THEN SET PAGE 1,0: BSAVE N$+".SC1",0,&HD3FF,S: SET PAGE1,1: BSAVE N$+".SC2",0,&HD3FF,S 80 GOTO20
Program written by Trunks.
To view again in BASIC:
10 SCREEN 12,,,,,3 20 BLOAD"IMAGE.SC1",S 30 SET PAGE 1,1: BLOAD"IMAGE.SC2",S 40 GOTO 40
Programming in assembly
More details in Programming the Sony HBI-V1.