The YIS-503 is same as the CX5F but sold without any module. The color is different.
It was aimed at the Japanese market and features a Japanese keyboard. The power supply is internal.
Official price: ¥64,800
It was also proposed in packages with other Yamaha hardware:
- YIS-503G (Graphic System) = YIS-503 + ZGA-01 (Graphics Card Set) + VC-01 (video cable)
- YIS-503M (Music System) = YIS-503 + YK-10 (Music Keyboard) + SFG-01 (musical module) + VC-01 (video cable) - eventually, it was possible to buy later the more advanced SFG-05 module
- YIS-503W (Word Processing System) = YIS-503 + SKW-01 (Kanji Word Processor Unit) + PN-01 (thermal printer) + CB-01 (printer cable) + VC-01 (video cable)
|RAM||32kB in slot 0|
|Media||MSX cartridges, side slot modules|
|Video||Texas Instruments TMS9928A|
|Audio||PSG (YM2149), (Music System package) SFG|
|Extras||see the Graphic System, Music System and Word Processing System packages|
Firmware of SFG modules
The YIS-503 supports all Yamaha modules.
To use the extension bus as second cartridge slot, you need the Yamaha Single Cartridge Adapter CA-01.
To get 64kB RAM with the YIS-503, you can insert the URM-01 cartridge in slot 1 or 2 or the SRE-01 module in side slot 3. It means that the 64kB RAM is split between two slots, a configuration that can cause poorly written software to crash. Also, with this layout, the POKE-1,(15-PEEK(-1)\16)*17 trick to workaround buggy softwares that don't handle subslots properly will not work on this machine expanded to 64kB RAM.
- Monitor output
- Tape recorder connector
- Centronics compatible Parallel port for a printer
- 2 general connectors (joysticks, mouse, paddle controllers, ...)
- 1 cartridge slot
- 1 module slot (left side, 60 pin connector)
- 1 extension bus slot (back side, 2nd cartridge slot via CA-01 adapter)